Saturday, September 10, 2011

July 24, 2011--Day 2 in Japan

I'm realizing that even abroad, I'm more cheap than I am in the states. A bunch of us were going to go to Hiroshima, but train tickets cost like 10,000 yen. So, Jaclyn, Stephanie, and I decided we were going to stay behind and be lazy since it was like 10,000 degrees outside. I've been to Hiroshima before, so I'm not too upset I didn't go again.
The three of us wandered around the train station plaza where there was some sort of fair-like thing. Different cities were handing out info and had funny little mascots representing each city. We got some shaved ice with some sort of strawberry goo on it, but it was sooo delicious. For lunch we found a small sushi place. It was one of those super cool ones with the revolving plates of sushi. Come to find out--it's called--kai-ten-sushi, which literally translates to "rotating sushi". Depending on what color plate you grab, that determines how much you pay. And let me say...it was so cheap. I got four plates: maguro (tuna), hamachi (yellowtail), and aji (mackerel) for 120 yen each and then sake (salmon) for 220 yen..which means I only spend 580 yen! Ridiculous. And it was delicious. Even better.
We wandered back to our dorms and stayed in the air conditioned room and played cards until another trainee joined us and we wound up bonding over nannying stories. We ate dinner at an Okonomiyaki restaurant. It's like a giant pancake with cabbage and other stuff. I'm not 100% sure. But I got yakisoba and it was so delicious. LOVE IT! We should have gotten drunk, but I am so tire..I already feel slightly buzzed. One more free day before intensive training...Until next time! またね!

                                           Kai-ten sushi! Pretty sure that's eggplant...
                                           Maguro! One of my favs...there was wasabi on it though....
                                           Yakisoba! So yummy..
****************************************
New vocabulary:
~回転 すし   kai-ten-sushi   rotating sushi bar
~しょうが    sho-oo-ga   ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment