Monday, September 19, 2011

Atami--熱海

September 12, 2011

I went to Numazu this weekend..again! Mary, Valerie, and I decided to take a day trip to Atami. It's super close to Numzau..like a 20 minute train ride, just on the other side of the Izu Peninsula. I had to Google it to find it..you can too. Support my friend's job so she can come visit! Anyway...It is SO beautiful!! We walked down to the water and walked along the dirty beach. It was a gorgeous day! We ate shaved ice at this cute little place called Rice Ball, but they didn't even serve rice balls. It should have been called Ice Balls. (bad joke...)
We could see the Atami Castle from the beach and after wandering around for what felt like hours, we found the only way to get up to it is on the rope way. As shaky and scary as that little people mover was, the view from the top was amazing. I made a video of us going up the rope way, but it won't upload.
Also at the top of this mountain is the Adult Museum called Hihokan. It doesn't translate to anything that I have found, but it's a sex museum. That's cool. A sex museum next to the historical castle. We had to walk through the sex museum to get to the castle. If that's the only way to get to the castle..they need an alternate route. We walked in, got stared at by all the strange men in there, especially after my reaction to seeing the giant turtle statue with a penis for a head. Good times. 

We had a great time in this little town and can't wait to go back! It's famous for 温泉 (oh-n-sen) which are Hot Springs. I'd love to go to one, but you gotta be naked and I don't know if I'm ready to show my whole American self yet. I don't want to make anyone jealous. I will before I leave for sure! Well..until next time!!またね!













*****************************************
New Vocabulary:
~かき氷  kah-ki-gory    shaved ice
~裸  hah-da-kah  naked



No comments:

Post a Comment