Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'll Never Understand....

Why is it that even after being here for 11 months I am still finding new things that I find so weird? All the other weird things I have previously posted about (Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3) are seeming more and more normal, but here are 21 more things I still haven't gotten used to yet...


1. grown-ass men read comic books in public. On the trains and buses. In coffee shops and restaurants. Sometimes, they will hide the dirty ones in other books or newspapers. Not so slick.
2. grown-ass men also play hand-held video games on trains. 
3. grown-ass men have hello kitty key chains and charms. I really hope that's your daughters purse. Oh, you don't have kids? ...Are you a pedophile?

4.  Stores play Auld Lang Syne when they are closing
5. Parking. How do they do it? They all back into these teeny-tiny spaces or park horizontally in their driveways. It's baffling. Don't ever again underestimate an Asian driver's ability to park a car. 
6. folding bikes. It's weird, but cool. I kept seeing people bring these very oddly shaped bags on trains, but could never figure out what they were until I saw a bike wheel poking out one time. I've never actually seen the bike itself in its folded state, but I'm like 99% sure that's what it was. 
7. everything plays a song. crosswalks. Fax machines, garbage trucks, incoming and outgoing trains, washing machines rice cookers.
8. Girls wear fake hair and fake eyelashes all day everyday. You're in sweatpants and an over-sized T-shirt, going to the market, but you went over kill on the hair and make-up. I don't get it....
9. men have more bling and tighter pants than I do. Not cool.
10. rent a car places. There are so many. Why? Why do you need like 5 on one block?
11. book covers. Most of the books sold in Japan are the same size and you can purchase book covers (like how we used to cover books with old brown paper shopping bags) in cool patterns and whatnot. 
12. scrunchies. I don't think they ever lost their popularity here. I'm not proud to say, but I own some. And I wear them. Only in my house..
13. flushing sounds. Some toilets make a flushing sound the moment you put any pressure on the seat. Not only does it scare you at first, but it's very confusing because you can't tell when you've stopped peeing. Other toilets you can turn on and off the sound. Most women here use the sound when they use the facilities. I don't see the big deal. We all know what you're doing in there...
14. they give you a plastic bag to cover your shopping bag when it rains.
15. major cause of train delays are jumpers.sad, but true. 
16. passport photo booths. Yes. No need to go to Costco and take your passport pictures and then take them to the post office. Just go to a photo booth. What's even more surprising is finding them on the street in the middle of nowhere.
17. awkward silences on trains, buses and in elevators.
18. They have many signs that tell you how to use the toilets. If you can read the sign, you should know how to use a toilet.
19. older men and women like bands that teenagers like. In America there seems to be a huge generational gap in favorite genres of music. Not in Japan. 
20. poorly written English. It's so funny. I know it's probably expensive to hire a translator, but seriously...What the hell is that supposed to mean?
21. Apparently all Japanese people get all their 6 or however many shots they get at birth or something and it leaves this ridiculous scar on their upper arm. 

This is on some stationary I bought at the 100 yen store.
*Happy time with you.
We friend teddy bears.
It is always the same. It is the same indefinitely
There are so many things I haven't discovered yet. I highly doubt I will find more things before I leave, but I post them if I do. I have less than 3 weeks left in my apartment, less than 4 weeks left of work, and 32 days left in Japan all together. I have many many more posts to catch up on, so...Until next timeまたね!
********************************
New Vocabulary:
~まんが  mah-n-gah  comic books
~歌 oo-tah  song
~英語  eh-ee-go  English 

No comments:

Post a Comment